Friday, September 9, 2011

Fly Fishing , an Evil addicting sport

  Having grown up on the Gulf Coast before fly fishing for Red Drum became common, I learned to fish by either bating a hook and opening a beer or casting a shad rig into the brackish bayou and fairly often catching the Cajun limit on Specs and Reds.
              Fly fishing in comparison is a frustrating time consuming sport and more often than not I either see no fish or they rise, tap my fly and return to their hole after laughing at my lack of skills. It is still a bit of good therapy for me as is any opportunity to get away from people.


"I look into... my fly box, and think about all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly: water temperature, what stage of development the bugs are in, what the fish are eating right now. Then I remember what a guide told me: 'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long."  Allison Moir

"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

"In every species of fish I've angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory.  So I say it is good to lose fish.  If we didn't, much of the thrill of angling would be gone." Ray Bergman

"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them."  John Gierach "Fly Fishing the High Country"

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich

"It is impossible to grow weary of a sport that is never the same on any two days of the year."  Theodore Gordon

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot."  Lefty Kreh

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"  Bob Lawless.
                                        

No comments: